-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, June 21, 2010

Pizza Casserole

Pizza Casserole
adapted from the recipe here at tasteofhome; originally published in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p42


16 Servings (2 casseroles, 8 servings each)
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.

Ingredients
1 box (13oz - just a little over 4 cups) uncooked spiral pasta (I use whole wheat)
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
16oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce (I use the no salt added type when I can find it)
1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce (I make my own)
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste (I use the no salt added type when I can find it)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided (I tend to use more)
1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni (I don't use the full package)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the mushrooms, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Drain pasta; stir into meat sauce.

Divide half of the mixture between two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top each with pepperoni and Parmesan cheese.

Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.


***MY NOTES***: Not owning two 11x7-inch baking dishes, I use a 9-inch squared and a 9x13-inch baking dish. Or I could make one big 11x13-inch casserole out of this. Whatever size dishes you use, divide the meat and cheese accordingly.

These are the nutrition facts for the original recipe: 1 serving (1 each) equals 296 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Even before I altered it, it's not...hideous...when it comes to nutrition. With minimal effort the sodium could be cut waaaaay down and probably the cholesterol, too....except that I tend to add about a cup or two more mozzarella to the recipe.

No comments: